Bank connection notification MEGATHREAD

Hi all!

We know that the recurring bank connection notification is causing a fair bit of confusion and inconvenience, so I’ve created this thread to keep the conversation all in one place, and to explain the situation.

So, you might’ve noticed this message in your app:

But when you headed to your “account” tab and opened “connected accounts” there was no option to reconnect.

This is a bug and we’re fixing this as a matter of priority. You should be able to reconnect as soon as it’s fixed.

Why did you get this message?

Your bank connection has dropped. There’s a number of reasons why this might’ve happened, it’s usually just a simple connection refresh for security purposes.

There’s no need to worry though, your bank card is still connected to Chip and you’re still able enjoy automatic saves, make manual saves and withdraw your money if you need it.

However, without a full bank connection we can’t guarantee to not take you overdrawn and you won’t benefit from the full personalisation of Chip’s AI. We’re really sorry for this.

What do you need to do?

Just for now, please sit tight.

We’ll here post and be in touch directly as soon as we’ve fixed this bug, then you’ll be able to fully reconnect your bank.

What if you bank with HSBC/Natwest/RBS?

If you bank with these banks, your bank connection will have dropped due to how they allows Chip access to your account. They now require a new, one-time login code every time Chip refreshes. This change was made without us being notified, and we’re sure you can understand that entering this code that often would be incredibly inconvenient for you.

This unfortunately means that you won’t be able to connect your HSBC, Natwest or RBS bank account to Chip. We’re working on a solution but it’ll take us a little while to implement, due to needing to change one of our core systems.

There’s no need to worry though, your bank card is still connected to Chip and you’re still able enjoy automatic saves, make manual saves and withdraw your money if you need it.

However, without a full bank connection we can’t guarantee to not take you overdrawn and you won’t benefit from the full personalisation of Chip’s AI. We’re really sorry for this.

We’re sorry.

We know bugs like this can be very annoying and thanks for bearing with us.

We’re trying to build a revolutionary new way to save and disrupt the savings market with some cutting edge tech, and it’s not always going to be smooth sailing. But we treat every bug and mistake as an opportunity to improve, so we hope to keep making Chip better and better for you!

Thank you for your patience

Autosaves when overdrawn

Curiosity now- if you were taken into your overdraft because of this, do you still give the refund as with overdraft protection?
@sarahchip

I’ve noticed the hsbc problem for the last month or so on the moneydashboard app. Very inconvenient having to generate a login code every time I want to refresh all my accounts in the MD app!!

Bring on full open banking!

Hear, hear! It is a bit of a nightmare for HSBC customers using any kind of app, not just Chip!

Is there any update on this?

Not currently, I’m afraid! Well, there is a slight update in that NatWest and RBS have implemented the same sort of system, so Chip can’t ‘see’ those accounts either.

As it’s down to the banks’ systems, we’re a bit stuck, but the dev team are looking into it to see if we can get around it. Nothing new to report just now though, I’m afraid!

So much for this ‘open’ banking that we are meant to have now!

Right?! I’m with Barclays so luckily not affected, but if I was with any of the other banks, I’d be giving serious thought to moving my account! It’s super frustrating!

Hello, very confused, not sure if this is related. I am with NatWest. Today I opened chip and it asked me to set up an account despite already being setup. When I hit the “sign in” option in the top right it just throws me straight back into the sign up by asking for number and to connect my account.

Please help.

Hi @Diogenes, could you please send me a message with the mobile number & email address you use for Chip and I can take a look and see what the situation is? Thanks!

I’m now being allowed to reconnect my account, but getting:

Error! Provider asked to perform an action.

Is this because of the aforementioned issues with RBS?

That’s likely the problem, unfortunately! You won’t be able to connect your RBS bank account to Chip, only your card.

So I bank with HSBC and I still have saves happening when in my overdraft. I take it this has not been fixed yet? If not has there been any further updates?

Thanks

Hi Team, I note that some other fintechs (most notably Money Dashboard) have solved the HSBC issue - I can now connect my HSBC account to MD via Open Banking and no longer need to send a one-time-passcode.

Any update on when Chip will be able to do the same? Getting back to intelligent saves would make a big difference to my engagement with the app.