Chip open banking API

Could Chip please offer an open banking API so that 3rd party aggregators could show me my Chip balances?

8 Likes

+1 for this as I use Emma Pro and the main Chip instant access account is imported with no problems but would be great for the HTB and Chip+1 balance data to be pulled through too :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I use Emma standard but would agree with this being added as well as the basic Chip account :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Disappointed that Chip don’t have an API.

Not what I would expect from a company claiming to be a fintech.

2 Likes

I think as of last month @Team-Chip has a new chief technology officer so expect this might change…

1 Like

I just got Emma and was told by them they have just disabled the connection to Emma. Is that the same for you?

1 Like

Yea I saw the same notification in their forum as well. Any reason for this?

1 Like

Afternoon all. I came on to the forum just for this very reason. CHIP had an API that I used to connect to MoneyDashboard. This stopped working last week and when I contacted MoneyDashboard they sent this reply: "We have just heard back from Chip to let us know that they have deactivated their API connection and they do not have plans to re-instate at this time. We are also most disappointed with this situation as they didn’t inform us this was going to happen, and they also don’t appear to have any alternative Open banking API to allow connections. "

CHIP is a fintech savings company that relies on connectivity to Banks to allow transfers into CHIP based on balances. Personally I think this is a short-sighted move by CHIP to cut off API outwards when it relies on API inwards.

It is also yet again poor communication by CHIP. If you’re deprecating a service, tell people. Letting people find out when something does not work is not the way to encourage loyalty or brand championing by existing clients.

7 Likes

I share @MarkyB’s thoughts exactly and just had the same response from MoneyDashboard. Fintech’s shouldn’t be making it more difficult for me to assess my financial situation.

3 Likes

What was the previous integration in MoneyDashboard like?

In Emma you could only see your Chip balance. No transaction history and no Chip+1 balance. Was it the same in MoneyDashboard?

1 Like

I never looked at the transactions section on MDB for CHIP but Chip+1 was not available, so it sounds like it was the same as with Emma.

3 Likes

Same you could only see balance and not transactions

2 Likes

Does anyone know why the money dashboard/Emma integration has gone away? Has there been any official news on wether open banking APIs will be supported?

I really want to manage all my account balances from a single view, not having open banking is a critical flaw for me.

1 Like

I don’t know, but I wonder if it’s related to chip emoney accounts (which were the only ones available in money dashboard and Emma) being closed and replaced with FSCS-protected accounts.

1 Like

I am new to Chip and wrongly assumed that I would be able to integrate my Emma account with Chip.

I now see that this facility was removed only recently - are there any plans for API reinstatement?

1 Like

Wow!! No response from teamchip since good part of an year!! I am an user of chip since their inception and an investor…and recently it feels that the focus is wavering. They are too slow in adapting in terms of being a tech company, and other issues which i dont want to.lay here. I would like an update on their Open banking API as well.

1 Like

Nimish! Two years since you last posted! Back in the Forum with a bang! Love to hear that you’ve been a chip user since their inception. I’m the Community Manager here at Chip, I’m only in my third week so I can’t speak on prior slow responses but I can say i’ve come here to engage with everyone across all our communities and make sure you are all heard.

The focus is wavering! Nimish your breaking my heart! In the last year we’ve provided the market leading easy access saving account. We’ve built the ChipAI investment platform as well as the much anticipated ChipX investment platform. We are in the process of closing our e-wallets and replacing them with more secure savings accounts covered by the FSCS. Nimish Chip is more focused than ever before.

Hey all! In regard to the Chip Open Banking API, due to technical issues, the good people at Chip decided to remove the integration with the likes of Emma/Money Dashboard. Going forward it is unlikely we will offer an Open Banking API. The reason being it’s very expensive to run, it requires a lot of technical ownership and ultimately we didn’t actually have many customers using our previous integration with the open banking apps.

From the looks of it this seemed to be an important feature to a lot of you. If we can showcase that this is something our users do want, there is a possibility we can get this back on our product roadmap. This is quite an old thread, would be interesting to hear your current thoughts on this feature.

1 Like

I think it’s a nicety but not an essential feature

4 Likes

Better to go the other way and have Chip have the ability to display all our other bank account information. You already look at one of our bank accounts. Just extended that so we can link in our others and then find a smart way to summarise all the information.

1 Like