Gif controls please

hi, is there a way we can report/block certain gifs from appearing? maybe with similar options to fb blocking “it’s inappropriate” (block forever (for me)), “it’s repetitive” (reduce frequency of that specific one), “it’s annoying” (reduce frequency of all gifs, offer to turn them off) etc?
i know some people don’t like the gifs at all, personally i really do like them but i’ve just had the alan partridge one twice in a row (repetitive) and as a woman I find him a bit creepy and misogynistic (inappropriate). i don’t know if you curate the ones you include, if so maybe it could just be blocked for me, if not maybe you’d want some kind of function to report/block a gif for everyone.

4 Likes

Here here, I’m getting cheesed of with them too. They do nothing for me at all. Can I turn them off?

3 Likes

Yeah I would also like to be given an option to turn them off.

2 Likes

I think the suggestion of having options is great. I don’t mind the gifs (and think Alan Partridge is Steve Coogan’s best character), but when they are repeated it is annoying. It makes the app feel of low quality.

2 Likes

Hi all! We have been having a number of discussions around gifs, but I’ll tag in @liamchip so he can see your feedback here, as it’s all really useful!

1 Like

Get rid, end of! Not professional in the slightest!

4 Likes

Thanks all, for the suggestions above. We are looking at some new possibilities, so I’ll be getting in touch soon with some ideas. It will be great to get some feedback from them all when they’re done :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would really like to have the option to turn them off as I find them profoundly irritating and so does my son - it concerns me that Chip is wasting time on silly gimmicks which would be far better spent ensuring the product is running smoothly and correctly.

2 Likes

And it concerns me that we don’t let the devs worry about REAL problems rather than people getting offended by fictional characters.

2 Likes

Some people are just pointing out that they think the gifs are unprofessional and would likely help the product if you could disable or get rid of them.

2 Likes

I quite like them. The “unprofessional” vibe is quite nice really, makes a nice change from the traditional stuffy finance companies.

5 Likes

Better if the same ones didn’t repeat so often.

2 Likes

I, too, find the GIFs stupid. I mean someone expresses like you have conquered the world, when all you have done is moved £14.98 to a different bank account! Cheesy and a tad offensive, to be honest. Just get rid of them.

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback - we understand they may not be to everyones taste. We are exploring a few ideas and working on some solutions to improve this part of the app drastically.

Please bare with us though, as the team are working incredibly hard to create some amazing new things to help you all save and do the most with your money, so I can’t say for certain when the GIFs will be updated.

Out of interest, when a save is made, what would you want to see instead of a GIF? A chart? Summary of saves that month? Nothing? I’d love to hear your responses, it’d be incredibly helpful.

I’m not bothered by the GIFs - I can take them or leave them.

I think some stats when a save is made would be useful:

• save amount
  • total saves for month
  • new balance (perhaps both chip and the account it takes the funds from)
  • amount added to each goal
  • new amount saved toward each goal
  • updated projection of when goal will be reached
  • when next auto-save will be made

Perhaps that is overkill - maybe have a selection of stats available which the user can choose from. Include an option to have a GIF, perhaps have an option of which GIF(s).

Ben

1 Like

I personally can’t see how the gifs are inappropriate or offensive myself, perhaps the ones I get are a bit tame. I see Chip trying not be your standard bank and bring some fun into banking/saving, yeah they are a bit silly but isn’t that the point :slight_smile: and helped people start saving with them perhaps initially? Be better if they were all rupaul drag race related :laughing: but for those who don’t like it might be good to have the ability to turn them off. Or if you have a goal set show how much percentage you have left to complete or the remaining amount left to hit your goal and then ability to increase or decrease your next automatic saving at that point?

4 Likes

Have requested the ability to turn GIFs off before. It seems like it would be a very simple change to give the option to savers. They are annoying, poor quality, repetitive, slow down the update of my feed, and add nothing to my life or my Chip experience.

Please fix so we can turn them off.

1 Like

That was what drew me to Chip, way back in 2017! But I would like to see them changed up a bit; I’d personally love it if we would create our own gifs/animations. :smiley:

1 Like

As I said, I like having gifs, I just wish there was an option to block certain ones and I’m a bit frustrated that message has been a bit lost in the clamour of people/mainly men hijacking to shout about getting rid completely (or not).
Are they curated or are they just randomly picked? Can you state there won’t be any in there that are triggering to sexual abuse survivors? @sarahchip @liamchip

1 Like

So we select a number of gifs for certain notification types, and then the app selects one from that pool at random.

We do select ones which are mainly ‘family-friendly’, but if there are concerns around a particular one, then we can remove or change it. :slight_smile: